Takeaways from Frida Mangen talk at the Agile People Sweden Conference 2018
Some takeaways from Frida Mangen talk at the Agile People Sweden Conference 2018.
- People are five times more sensitive to threats than rewards
- No one would like to be perceived as incompetent!
- By way of conformity to social norms, we adapt to fit in with a group. By way of that, we sacrifice our liberty, and we become less capable of observing novel patterns
- Safety junkies emerge due to an obsession with safety in families, societies, and organizations (think helicopter parents, community, or corporation!)
- The result is too much advice on how to look after children, citizen-welfare mania, and piles of policies and processes at various organizations
- Negative implications of strong risk aversion in Sweden: an increase in anxiety, academic fear of starting businesses, and unmotivated working expats
- Stop treating people as children, and allow them to claim responsibilities and make mistakes
- The 70:20:10 model for learning and development tells that experience and mistakes is the source of 70% of people learning
- Organizations, therefore, need to establish grounds for people to learn by themselves
- To HR in charge:
- You don’t need to have all the answers
- You don’t need to fear to make mistakes
- You need to put the oxygen mask on yourself first!
#AgilePeople #AgilePeopleSweden #AgileGothenburg #HR #AgileHR #AgileHRPodden #PeopleUnits #Safety #PsychologicalSafety #SafetyJunkies #HelicopterCommunity #HelicopterCorporation