PMO and Project Management Challenges in Agile Delivery Organizations
Meetup Title: PMO and Project Management Challenges in Agile Delivery Organizations
Date: June 24, 2020, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Speaker: Daniele Cassani
Co-speaker: Sari Linder
Meetup Overview And Benefits
The meetup will start with a talk that discusses the challenges that a project manager faces in organizations that have started adopting Agile product management and Lean portfolio management methods. In particular, the following pertinent issues will be addressed:
- What elements of traditional project management models (PMBOK/PRINCE2) are viable in an Agile delivery organization?
- A project manager is responsible for managing the variables of cost, time, quality, scope, benefits, and risk in a project. Which of these responsibilities is applicable in an Agile zone?
- A project manager is responsible for ensuring that the project produces the required product per the defined scope. How can a project manager fulfill this responsibility when the product owner is the sole person responsible for managing the product backlog?
- Besides the planning, delegating, monitoring, and control of all aspects of a project, a project manager is expected to motivate those involved in the project. How does this support or contend with the roles of Scrum masters, release train engineers, and Agile coaches in the organization?
- A project is typically broken down into discrete, sequential sections called stages. How often do these stages align with or cross the boundaries of program increments in an organization that uses SAFe? What is the impact of that on the project lifecycle?
- How to cope with the lack of PMO empowerment in Agile organizations and the diminished standardization of project-related governance processes?
Following the talk, the participants will be invited to a group activity that relates to reconciling traditional project management with Agile practices in the enterprise.
Daniele Cassani, a management consultant in the digital transformation field at byBrick Management, has built his knowledge in project management by working as both a project manager and a project office manager since 2003.
A PMP certificate holder since 2010, he has worked in software development projects, system integration project as well as business development and commercial delivery projects in different environments and cultures.
He has a passion for project management and problem-solving, and he likes taking on troubled projects as a challenge.
This is not a webinar! This is a virtual meetup on Zoom. You will be engaging in a live conversation with people. You can start your camera, speak, and chat with others throughout the meeting. Please download and install Zoom, and help yourself and others by ensuring that you:
- Have a stable broadband internet connection, at least 10 Mbps download/upload
- Call from a quiet place
- Turn your video camera on
- Use a headset
- Mute yourself if you are not speaking
Other suggestions you may wish to follow are listed on Collaboration Superpowers.
This meetup is jointly held by a Scrum Alliance user group and a PMI chapter. Participating in the meetup or watching its video recording enables you to claim one Scrum Educational Unit (SEU) and one Professional Development Unit (PDU) per hour of participation or watching.
5:00 PM Welcome and icebreaker
5:10 PM Talk; Project Management Challenges in Agile Delivery Organizations
6:00 PM Questions and discussion
6:10 PM Break
6:20 PM Group activity
6:50 PM Questions and discussion
7:00 PM Close
Project, program and portfolio managers, product, service and delivery managers, PMO managers, PMO analysts, product owners, Scrum masters, release train engineers, trainers and coaches.